Living in Melbourne, Australia for 6 months gave me a deep sense of what being a Melbournian means. From flamboyant laneway street arts, to the strong coffee culture, from the must-go brunch places and varied clubs and bars, Melbourne is indeed THE MOST LIVABLE CITY IN THE WORLD! (Business Insider, 2017)
I was on an exchange semester at the University of Melbourne in 2018, studying International Business and Finance. Grâce à the light work load, I travelled all across Australia, from taking weekend trips to Sydney and Tasmania, to taking a 5-day road trip to New Zealand right before exams!
Now, back to Melbourne, here’s a quick list of must-see things in and around Melbourne:
My favorite places in Melbourne:
- The Laneway Street Art:
- Hosier Lane
- AC/DC Lane
- Caledonian Lane
- Croft Alley
- Duckboard Place, etc…
- Flinders Street Station
- Queen Victoria Market (the Night Markets on Wednesdays are to die for!)
- St. Kilda Beach (sometimes you can see Penguins here!)
- The NGV Arts Gallery (historic art pieces here!)
- Watch a show at The Opera House (student ticket ~$AUD20)
- Visit the many carnivals/events along the banks for the Yarra River
- Take a dinner/party cruise in the Yarra
- Have to try a brunch cocktail at the City’s many chic brunch places
- Degraves street (coffee bar and chic laneway)
Tip: Follow “What’s on Melbourne” or “City of Melbourne” on Facebook for upcoming events!
- Royal Botanical Gardens
- See a game at the Melbourne Cricket Grounds or the Etihad stadiums
- Shrine of Remembrance
- Federation Square
- China Town
- Brighton Bathing boxes (HAVE to take a photo here!)
- State Library of Victoria
- Eureka Tower (for the view)
- Luna Park (Amusement Park)
To get around the city:
Please note the “Free Tram Zone” in Melbourne CBD: https://static.ptv.vic.gov.au/siteassets/PDFs/Maps/Network-maps/PTV_FreeTramZone_Map.pdf
The Free Tram Zone makes travelling around the CBD very easy! Almost all main places are either in the free tram zone or in a walking distance. Much appreciated, PTV!
To get the “myki” which is the city’s reloadable transport card, visit: https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/
Rental bikes are also available for nominal prices. See link for bike rental stands and fares: https://www.melbournebikeshare.com.au/
Places around Melbourne:
- The Great Ocean Road (Must-go! — either rent a car or take a bus tour)
- The Penguin Parade at Philip Islands
- Dandenong Ranges (10,000 steps)
- Yarra Valley Wine Tours
- The Grampines
- Wilsons Prom
- Day Surfing trip at Torquay (rentals available)
All these places are my personal favorites! These places are available by car or train.
Here are some clicks of the City.
Hope your enjoyed the blog. Cheers!